WILLMAR, Minn. – The Highway 15/Main Street reconstruction project in Hutchinson officially moves into the next stage of construction (Stage 3) today (Tuesday, May 19).
The road closure moves to the north side of 2nd Avenue South at Highway 15. Crews will be breaking up the old roadway and removing debris along Highway 15 from 1st Avenue South to the north side of 2nd Avenue South.
During Stage 3:
- Construction takes place at the intersections of Highway 15 with 1st Avenue South, 2nd Avenue South
- Area is closed to all vehicle traffic from all directions
- Crosswalks are closed to pedestrian traffic
- Local traffic only in areas south of 3rd Avenue South
- Washington Avenue and 5th Avenue intersections are open for crossing
- Sidewalks for pedestrian traffic will remain open for business access when possible
- Parking is available on streets and in parking lots on the backside of Main Street businesses
The Hutchinson Main Street project includes the reconstruction of Highway 15 from Second Avenue North to Fifth Avenue South. Included with the project, Highway 15 will be resurfaced from Fifth Avenue South to just north of the roundabout at County Road 115/Airport Road, and a northbound left-turn lane will be constructed at Linden Avenue. Sidewalks and pedestrian crossings will be upgraded along both project areas to make them accessible for all people.
The city of Hutchinson will replace utilities (sanitary sewer, storm sewer, and water) in downtown Hutchinson under Highway 15/Main Street during reconstruction.
Watch for orange cones
MnDOT recommends that travelers always drive with caution, and reminds everyone to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times
For more information, visit the project website at mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy15downtownhutch
Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/MnDOTsouthwest.